<< return to news

LD DOM Forum notes 26th October 2016

Posted on the 10th November 2016

These are notes (not minutes) and reflect the opinions and understandings of those present

David Smith opened the meeting.

The meeting agreed that 14:30 was a convenient time for a meeting and it was agreed that alternate meetings would switch between 10:00 at Crossroads and 14:30 at United Response.

The next meeting however, is planned to be a joint meeting with the Residential Forum on the 19th November, 10am at Crossroads Care Home. Action: Richard to invite Kirean Topping, David Coleman, Peter Tempest, and Kate Alcock to joint Forum.

A discussion took place around the last Partnership meeting. They are open meetings, however sector representation comes primarily from the Dom care sector, with few Residential Providers present. David reported that despite regularly requesting briefing notes, they are promised but have never materialise.

A discussion took place around Integration as local MP’s are saying that integration is still expected, although at Partnership meetings, it is suggested that it will be ‘alignment’ not integration.

David reported on the most recent meeting regarding Dom Care. It appears that the direction of travel seems to be an expectation that Dom Care will do more complex care and the lower levels of activity such as feeding cats, picking up shopping etc. would be swept up by family, friends, and volunteers.

A discussion took place around the notion that Dom Care should be more flexible, e.g. for contracts to be for 7 hours per week rather than 1 hour per day. Providers are reporting that carers are being turned away as family or friends are present and it would make sense for this time to reallocated to the service user. For example, this hour could be added to another visit to allow for more productive activity such as bathing, trips out etc.

There was also a discussion around the retention of places if a service user is admitted to hospital. Quite often the service user is admitted, and then placed with another care provider on discharge when the original care provider has kept the slot open waiting for the service user to return. In some cases, the original care provider has not accepted new work to fill an empty slot as they are expecting the service user to return to them, unaware that they have been placed elsewhere.

Diane reported on a suggestion she has previously made regarding a ‘Carer’s Card’ for care staff, similar to Student Cards or NHS Cards, that may offer benefits to care staff as a way of making the role more attractive. It could be local or tie in with an existing National scheme, and could maybe run a pilot in Cornwall. Action: Richard to investigate a Carer’s Card.

The meeting discussed paying for shifts rather than per visit, however this would take a substantial uplift to enable Providers to pay for full shifts and work towards void management. It is felt that the NHS pay for full shifts which makes for a more appealing job.

It was also noted that Cornwall Council now pays National Living Wage (£8.25) as a minimum. This is putting Providers at a further disadvantage as many can only afford to pay some staff minimum wage (£7.20). This doesn’t help when it comes to recruiting new staff.

It was also pointed out that the UKHCA’s recent calculations for the cost of care are not truly reflective of the situation in Cornwall as they only allow for averages of 4 miles and 11.4 minutes per hour of care. In reality, given Cornwall’s rural nature, this figure seems to low. It was also highlighted that many other factors have changed since the UKHCA did their calculation and which will impact on the costs of care, including Brexit, inflation, the weakening pound, CQC price increases, and reduced overall capacity as some providers are closing or pulling out of certain areas. Action: Richard to investigate the average time and mileage per hour of care to help with calculating a more accurate cost of care in Cornwall.

David reported on a meeting with Derek Thomas. Derek has agreed to organise regular 3 monthly meetings with all Cornish MP’s before their own regular meetings. The next meeting with CPIC and Cornish MP’s will be 09:00 on 13th January 2017 at New County Hall. This meeting is open to all Providers who might wish to attend.
David asked Derek to find out when the next increase of Living Wage will be announced and what it might be.
David also discussed the situation surrounding duplication of inspections, and Derek agreed that this seems counterproductive if the Council cannot assess patients, but can hire and send inspectors.

A discussion took place regarding the conflict between the regulations and the subsequent guidance for pay rates during sleep-ins. Action: Richard to circulate document outlining the issue and calling for the Government to provide clarity on sleep-in rates.

Previous Actions

  • Action: Richard to invite Nicky Mannell from IFS to the next Forum – Our invite was declined as they felt they did not have any information to pass on to the sector as this time.

 Actions

  • Action: Richard to invite Kieran Topping, David Coleman, Peter Tempest, and Kate Alcock to joint Forum.
  • Action: Richard to investigate a Carer’s Card.
  • Action: Richard to investigate the average time and mileage per hour of care to help with calculating a more accurate cost of care in Cornwall.
  • Action: Richard to circulate document outlining the issue and calling for the Government to provide clarity on sleep-in rates.

 

Next LD DOM Forum is 29th November 2016 at 10:00.

Venue is Crossroads Care Home, Scorrier